Realm Makers runs a raffle at each conference for the sake of funding our scholarship program, in an effort to make the conference accessible to those who are seriously pursuing their craft but lack the financial means to attend.
Who Should Apply?
The winner of a Realm Makers scholarship will demonstrate the following qualities:
- Writing talent (whether honed or raw)
- Intent to refine that talent
- Serious pursuit of writing
- Financial need
How to apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 28th, 2018. No late applications will be considered.
Compose a document of 750 words or less that tell the scholarship committee the following information:
- Who you are, what you write, and how long you’ve been writing
- How many manuscripts you have completed, if any
- Whether any of your work has been published
- What you are currently doing in pursuit of becoming a better writer (critique groups/partnering, taking courses, etc.)
- An explanation of your life circumstances that create your financial need
In this same document, please append the FIRST 500 words of a piece of speculative fiction you have written that you believe demonstrates your current skill level. Please notate the title or working title of the work, and indicate whether it is a work in progress or a published piece.
Send this document as an .rtf or .doc/.docx attachment to email@example.com before February 28th.
The committee will notify winners of the scholarships on or before April 1st, 2018, via email. Scholarship amounts remain at the discretion of the committee, and may be either full or partial coverage of the conference registration cost. Meals, hotel, and travel remain the responsibility of the recipient(s).
If any of the following are true, please allow others their chance at being awarded one of these two scholarships.
- Scholarships not available for Realm Makers alumni
- If you have attended/are registered to attend any mid-size or large conference (more than 100 attendees) between August 2017 and August 2018 as a paid attendee. Of course, we can’t really verify your other registrations, but please leave the Realm Makers scholarships to those for whom any kind of conference attendance isn’t feasible.
Please direct all questions to: